You have a lot to worry about as a parent. Keeping your child safe on dangerous Texas roads is probably one of those big worries. As a parent or guardian, understanding safety protocol and car seat laws in Texas can be exactly what keeps your children safe.
Texas Law breakdown (Texas DPS):
- All children younger than 8 years old, unless taller than 4’9” are required to be in an appropriate child safety system.
1. Rear-Facing Seats for all children under the age of 1.
2. Forward Facing Seats for children who outgrew the height or weight requirements for their rear-facing seat. This seating is required until the child reaches at least the age of 5.
3. Booster Seats for children who outgrew the requirements of their forward-facing seat. Booster seats are needed until the seat belts fit properly.
4. Adult Safety Belt for children who outgrew their booster seats and the seat belt fits properly.
- Follow traffic signals and make eye contact with the drivers before crossing the street.
Failure to follow car seat laws can result in injury, death and you may also be charged with a misdemeanor. Fines range from $25 – $250 depending on the severity.
What kind of car seat should I get?
There are a few qualifying factors that will help you pick out the perfect car seat.
Car Seat Qualifications
- Don’t purchase a used car seat. Car seats undergo constant wear and tear. Older seat safety conditions may be compromised. If you do purchase a used car seat make sure you check the seat for the sticker with the manufacturer and expiry date.
- Car seats always have proper labels and information to register the seat with the manufacturer. If the seat does not have labels, documents, or registration instructions the car seat may be faulty or counterfeit.
- Make sure you follow all manufacturer instructions on how the car seat should be operated.
- Additional safety features, like harnesses, are always a big plus when selecting a car seat. Make sure you do your research when selecting a car seat.
Unfortunately, accidents happen even if you take every safety precaution. If you or your child were injured in a car accident due to a negligible driver
or a faulty car seat you’ll want to contact our personal injury attorneys immediately. The personal injury attorneys at The Hadi Law Firm
are here to fight for you. We make sure you and your family are compensated properly for your accident and justice is served. Reach out to us at (832) 433-7977